This is the third episode of the month, which means we will be looking at a couple stories of martyrs for the Christian faith.
It is good to remember those who stood up and didn’t deny Jesus. And it can bolster our faith to read about what they faced.
The Christian martyr, stands on the objective truth of Jesus Christ and the gospel. Not only do they have the Holy Spirit with them to strengthen and comfort them, but they have peace, joy, and hope. They have Jesus and Jesus has them. They know that Jesus already died for them, to atone for their sins, having mercy on them, to adopt them into His family as a child of God, to impute righteousness to them in the greatest act of love and grace.
These martyrs died so the gospel message and the Kingdom of God might continue on. May their stories encourage you and point you to the Hope, the One True God.
Thomas is named among the Apostles in Matthew 10:3; Mark 3:18; Luke 6:15; and Acts 1:13
Thomas’ interactions are recorded in John. They are as follows:
- The Apostle Thomas was martyred in Madras, India around 72 A.D.
- John Denley was a Protestant in England, martyred in 1555.
- Roy Pontoh’s story took place in Indonesia in 1999.
- Another podcast, also part of the Christian Podcast Community, that is doing episodes on martyrs and missionaries is Revived Thoughts with Troy Frasier and Joel Bourdess.
- Voice of the Martyrs ministry
- Book: Jesus Freaks by Voice of the Martyrs and DCTalk, published in 1999. [This is an affiliate link, which means that if you click it and purchase this book, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but it is no extra cost to you.] Or, there is an updated and expanded edition sold here: Jesus Freaks
- Book: Foxe’s Book of Martyrs (Pure Gold Classics) by John Foxe [This is an affiliate link, which means that if you click it and purchase this book, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but it is no extra cost to you.]
Keep reading your Bible!