It’s 2020 and EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED! For the first time, many have been faced with one of the greatest decisions of their parenting lives. How will they educate their children? Will they continue to send them to school during this time of COVID-19 restrictions, masks, and social distancing? Will they sit them in front of a computer screen for hours of ZOOM virtual classes? Or will they withdraw them completely and HOMESCHOOL and test the waters of real, parent-directed education at home.
On a daily basis, parents are considering homeschooling for the first time ever and asking the question, “But How?” That’s what Yvette Hampton and Aby Rinella are answering this week on The Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast.
This is the second part of a three part conversation, so make sure you come back tomorrow to hear the rest.
PARTNER WITH US!
Has The Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast been a blessing to you? Help us provide resources, support, and encouragement to homeschooling families around the world. Please consider making a tax-deductible donation to support Schoolhouse Rocked.
Without the support of the homeschool community we could not produce The Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast. Whether or not you can donate, we ask that EVERY listener support the show by sharing it with your friends and family, by leaving a review on iTunes, and by praying for our team.
Here are 10 very specific steps to get you started on the right path, or encourage you along the way if you’re already traveling the homeschool road.
Psalm 1:1-2: “Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on His law he meditates day and night.”
Proverbs 1:8: “Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.”
1) PRAY. Do that first. Surrender your homeschool to the Lord. Seek Him in all you do.
2) KNOW YOUR WHY. So that when it gets hard, and it will, you can go back and be reminded.
- What does the Bible have to say about education? – Israel Wayne’s, Christian Education: A Manifesto is a wealth of Biblical instruction on training our children’s hearts and minds.
- The Who, Why, and How of Homeschooling – podcast with Yvette Hampton, Aby Rinella, and Karen DeBeus
- Homegrown Generation (the 2020 Schoolhouse Rocked online conference) – Sign up to watch 7 of the best sessions for free, including “Why Homeschooling Matters – Getting to the Heart of Homeschooling” with Aby Rinella. Or, sign up for the entire conference for only $10!
- Education: Does God Have An Opinion? Book by Israel Wayne
3) KNOW YOUR STATE LAWS – Visit SchoolhouseRocked.com/homeschooling-in-your-state/ to find the homeschooling laws in your state and connect with your state homeschool organization.
4) JOIN HSLDA
5) DE-SCHOOL – Get rid of the “school” mentality – Do not compare, do not try to recreate someone else’s homeschool or traditional school in your home. Answer the call the Lord has given YOUR family. Give time for a family reset.
6) FIND A LOCAL COMMUNITY
7) UNDERSTAND STYLE – your teaching style and your children’s learning styles.
- The Way They Learn, by Cynthia Ulrich Tobias
8) CHOOSE CURRICULUM – Ask friends or family for recommendations
9) ATTEND A HOMESCHOOL CONFERENCE – in person, if possible. Learn about your state conference by becoming a member of your state homeschool organization.
- Find your state homeschool organization
- For online, sign up for the 2020 Homegrown Generation Family Expo (only $10)
10) START WITH THE END IN MIND, and at the same time, acknowledge that change is inevitable. Be flexible.
If you are considering homeschooling or just need some great homeschooling encouragement, please check out HomegrownGeneration.com for over 9 hours of FREE homeschool videos from the 2020 Homegrown Generation Family Expo.
Please take a minute to visit our sponsors and thank them for helping to bring you The Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast. We ONLY work with companies we know and love! We happily recommend these companies and their products.
Are you looking for a new Math Curriculum? CTCMath specializes in providing online video tutorials that take a multi-sensory approach to learning. Creative graphics and animation, synchronized with the friendly voice of internationally acclaimed teacher, Pat Murray, make learning math easy and effective. Visit CTCmath.com today to start your free trial today.
Join Dr. Brian Phillips for a series of conversations about the important and powerful role that is being fatherhood on The Weight of Fatherhood. He’ll be chatting with a wide array of guests, from psychologists and pastors to authors and even a few friends, about the challenges, joys, goals, and frustrations that almost every dad faces–especially dads who work really hard to be decent fathers.
This episode of The Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast is brought to you by Classical Conversations. Classical Conversations leads the home-centered education movement by teaching parents and students the classical tools of learning so that they can discover God’s created order and beauty. Share the love of learning through a Christian worldview and fellowship with other families. Our families thrive using three keys to a great education: Classical, Christian, and Community.