Embracing Distractions: Prioritizing What Truly Matters in Homeschooling – Katie Waalkes, Part 2
“God oftentimes uses distractions to challenge us in what we’re prioritizing.” – Katie Waalkes
Katie Waalkes joins Yvette Hampton to share her experience as a highly distracted homeschool mom. She discovers her own ADHD tendencies through her child’s therapy sessions and encourages other moms who can relate to their natural tendencies or external circumstances. Katie emphasizes the importance of character over curriculum, and how homeschooling provides an opportunity to prepare children for life, not just academics. She discusses the challenges of distractions and offers strategies such as anchoring the day, breaking it into chunks, and using sensory engagement during learning. Katie also shares practical tips for organizing tasks and protecting focused homeschooling hours. Yvette and Katie pray for the podcast to encourage and honor the Lord, as Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast aims to equip parents and homeschoolers with biblical truth. Join Yvette and Katie as they dive into the topic of the highly distracted homeschool mom and offer guidance and encouragement along the way.
Come back tomorrow for the rest of this important conversation.
Katie Waalkes is a wife of 14 years, mother to 6 kids, most of whom have special needs with a mixture of medical diagnosis & special learning needs.
She is passionate about encouraging parents in their biblical parenting and helping homeschool moms in their journey. Katie has a unique perspective on homeschooling as both she and her husband grew up homeschooled. As a second-generation homeschooler, she has been both the student and teacher and has much to offer on the topic. She hopes to be able to help you start making the most of the little moments in life as the mundane moments are often the most impactful.
- How does Katie define distracted homeschooling? Can you relate to her experiences as a highly distracted homeschool mom?
- How does Katie emphasize the importance of character over curriculum? In what ways can we prioritize character-building in our homeschooling journey?
- What are some teaching moments and opportunities that parents often miss out on when their children are separated from them for long periods? How can we be more intentional in seizing those opportunities?
- What are some strategies that Katie shares for overcoming distractions and staying focused in homeschooling? How do you anchor your day and help your children develop refocusing skills?
- How does Katie view distractions in the journey of parenting? How can distractions actually benefit our children’s growth and our own journey towards Jesus?
- What are some challenges that Katie identifies in her homeschooling journey, such as changing curriculums and inconsistent expectations? How can we address these challenges and ensure a more consistent homeschooling experience?
- Katie’s children have special needs. How does she adapt her homeschooling approach to cater to each child’s individual needs and abilities? How can we accommodate our children’s unique learning styles and challenges?
- How does Katie view multitasking? Why is it important to block off specific hours for homeschooling and protect those hours from external distractions and appointments?
- Katie suggests creating a minimalist environment and using noise-canceling headphones to reduce distractions. How can we create a homeschooling environment that promotes focus and minimizes distractions?
- In what ways can we seek a heart change and rely on God’s guidance to overcome the challenges of distracted homeschooling? How can prayer and seeking the Lord’s wisdom help us in our homeschooling journey?
It’s not too late to enjoy the Homegrown Generation Family Expo – now at a new, lower price! Register today for lifetime access to every session – and BONUS access to the 2020 conference.
Use the coupon code PODCAST to save 25% when you register today.
Support Schoolhouse Rocked!
Has the Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast been a blessing to you? Support from our listeners allows us provide resources, support, and encouragement to homeschooling families around the world. Please consider donating to support Schoolhouse Rocked.
CTCMath – CTCMath specializes in providing online video tutorials that take a multi-sensory approach to learning. Creative graphics and animation, synchronized with the friendly voice of internationally acclaimed teacher, Pat Murray, make learning math easy and effective. Start your free trial today.
BJU Press Homeschool provides complete curriculum for preschool through 12th grade with both traditional textbooks and video courses available. Education from a Christian worldview reshapes how children see the world. BJU Press materials teach Christ’s power and lordship through the Big Story of creation.
The Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW) equips teachers and teaching parents with methods and materials which will aid them in training their students to become confident and competent communicators and thinkers. Using the Structure and Style™ writing method, IEW will give you the ability to fill young minds with language-building skills, laying the groundwork for a lifetime of excellent writing.
Apologia – Apologia is a Christ-centered, award-winning homeschool curriculum provider. Our mission is to help homeschooling students and families learn, live, and defend the Christian faith through our print and digital curriculum and online classes.
The Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast is proud to be a member of the Christian Podcast Community.
Connect with us: