We all love our kids, but how do we show it? Or do we show it? What does the Bible have to say about love? Sometimes love doesn’t come naturally and oftentimes we have to really work at it. Love isn’t always a feeling, it’s often a choice. Thankfully, God has provided us with a beautiful blueprint on how to love those in our lives. Join Yvette and Aby as they talk through this important topic and give suggestions on how to love your family well.
Join us tomorrow for the conclusion of this conversation.
Partner with us!
Has the Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast been a blessing to you? Support from our listeners allows us provide resources, support, and encouragement to homeschooling families around the world. Please consider making a tax-deductible donation to support Schoolhouse Rocked.
Without the support of the homeschool community we could not produce The Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast. Whether or not you can donate, we ask that EVERY listener support the show by sharing it with your friends and family, by leaving a review on iTunes, and by praying for our team.
1 Corinthians 13:1-13
“If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogantor rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.”
”But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions,envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.”
Fireproof with Kirk Cameron
The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts (by Gary Chapman)
The 5 Love Languages and some ideas of how to show them to your children or spouse:
- WORDS OF AFFIRMATION: Compliment them – encourage them – express appreciation – give a card – send a text – tell them you love them – tell them you’re proud – actively listen – put a note under their pillow – notice their efforts and acknowledge in front of others
- ACTS OF SERVICE: Help them clean their room – make them meals – help them get out the door on time – help with schoolwork – bring them a drink of water – help them with their chores –tuck them in at night
- PHYSICAL TOUCH: Comb their hair – scratch their back – rub their feet – cuddle and read a story – tickle them – pat them on the back – sit near them – welcome kisses and hugs – group hugs – high fives – hold hands –
- GIFTS: Make their favorite treat – give a thoughtful gift on an ordinary day – plan presents that fit their interests – send them mail when you’re away – give them a flower or pretty rock – remember special occasions and celebrate – appreciate their gifts
- QUALITY TIME: Give your undivided attention – do chores together – bake together – ask about their day – eye contact – play with them – do a craft – eat together – go on dates – play board games – bike rides – go for walks together – stay up with them late at night and let them talk
Most of the recommendations above are taken from this printable chart found on etsy.com
If you are considering homeschooling or just need some great homeschooling encouragement, please check out HomegrownGeneration.com for over 9 hours of FREE homeschool videos from the Homegrown Generation Family Expo.
Please take a minute to visit our sponsors and thank them for helping to bring you The Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast. We ONLY work with companies we know and love! We happily recommend these companies and their products.
Are you looking for a new Math Curriculum? CTCMath specializes in providing online video tutorials that take a multi-sensory approach to learning. Creative graphics and animation, synchronized with the friendly voice of internationally acclaimed teacher, Pat Murray, make learning math easy and effective. Visit CTCmath.com today to start your free trial today.
The Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW) equips teachers and teaching parents with methods and materials which will aid them in training their students to become confident and competent communicators and thinkers. Using the Structure and Style™ writing method, IEW will give you the ability to fill young minds with language-building skills, laying the groundwork for a lifetime of excellent writing.
Classical Conversations leads the home-centered education movement by teaching parents and students the classical tools of learning so that they can discover God’s created order and beauty. Share the love of learning through a Christian worldview and fellowship with other families. Our families thrive using three keys to a great education: Classical, Christian, and Community.