Homeschool Teaching Methods Overview – Sonya Shafer (Homeschool Survival Series)
What’s Your Teaching Style? Are you Homeschooling, but not sure what method would work best for you and your family?
Sonya Shafer is a popular homeschool speaker and writer, specializing in the Charlotte Mason Method. She has been on an adventure for more than 20 years studying, researching, practicing, and teaching Charlotte’s gentle and effective methods of education. Her passion for homeschooling her own four daughters grew into helping others and then into Simply Charlotte Mason, which publishes her many books and provides a place of practical encouragement to homeschoolers.
Come back Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday for a discussion on Teaching Unit Studies, with Melissa Crabtree.
WATCH THE MOVIE! Schoolhouse Rocked: The Homeschool Revolution is now available on DVD and HD streaming.
Buy the film today or bring Schoolhouse Rocked to your church or homeschool co-op.
“Schoolhouse Rocked” will rock your educational world to the foundations and give you and your kids great hope for the future! The old-school paradigm has proven broken and a new way of learning is here. Don’t miss this important film!” – Kirk Cameron
“This is one of the most empowering tools I’ve seen for parents! I was honored to be interviewed in the film and am excited to see it come to fruition. It is amazing!” – Israel Wayne, Family Renewal
Teaching Methods Quiz
Want to know what homeschool teaching style suits you best? Listen to this episode and take this Quiz…
If you . . .
- are concerned about keeping lock-step with the local school system (T)
- don’t necessarily want a plan; prefer to be spontaneous (N)
- place great emphasis on having facts memorized (T, C)
- love hands-on projects and activities and don’t mind spending the time to prepare them(U)
- think the teacher should be the fountain-head of all knowledge (T, C, U)
- want school to be rigorous and challenging (C)
- don’t want to be different (T, C, U)
- love the idea of learning from good literature and books that make the subject come alive (L)
- want to use natural, gentle methods while holding them to a high standard (L)
- like having the child decide what to learn and when (N)
- want to linger with art, nature, handicrafts, music, and more (L, N)
- want to teach the way you were taught; not have to put forth the effort of decision (T)
- believe that true education comes from a personal relation with what is being studied, not just recognition (L, N)
- want your children to learn how to self-educate (L, N)
- live and die by standardized test scores (T, C)
- want to teach all your children together for as many subjects as possible (L, U)
- want each child to be on his or her own separate track for everything (T, C, N)
- want something that will work for a special needs child (any)
- something that will work well for a large family (any)
- something that will work well for an only child (any)
- need to tuck homeschooling around your work schedule (any)
- need something your spouse or the grandparents can do parts of (any, depending on the spouse or grandparent)
- want your child to be prepared to do well in college (any)
- want your child to be prepared to do well in adult life (any)
- want to emphasize good character development and Biblical discipleship (any)
T = Traditional
C = Classical
L = Charlotte Mason
U = Unit Studies
N = Unschooling
Support Schoolhouse Rocked:
Has Schoolhouse Rocked been a blessing to you? Please consider making a donation to support the ongoing ministry of Schoolhouse Rocked.
Support from the homeschool community allows us provide resources and encouragement to homeschooling families around the world.
Your support is making an ETERNAL impact!
“If you are new to homeschooling check out this podcast!! I’ve been feeling like I should homeschool for a couple years but was worried I couldn’t do it. Once the pandemic brought my kids home and I started seeing their emotional health and attitudes improve I decided to finally make the leap. This podcast has really encouraged me to make this a permanent change. Thank you for all your efforts in making this resource available!” – Autumn
“I was tearing up at the end of this film being reminded that my children are GIFTS from the Lord. I never want to abdicate my role and responsibility as their Mama. I cannot wait to share this film with everyone once it is released!!” – Amber
“We loved the movie and watched it with our children. It left us encouraged in our choice to homeschool, as well as gave us confidence that we are not “messing” up our children’s education or socialization!!” – Danielle
Whether or not you can donate, we ask that EVERY listener support the show by sharing it with your friends and family, by leaving a review on iTunes, and by praying for our team.
If you are considering homeschooling or just need some great homeschooling encouragement, get your FREE Homeschool Survival Kit from the producers of Schoolhouse Rocked: The Homeschool Revolution and the Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast.
This 60+ page guide includes helpful articles, videos, and audio, for every stage of homeschooling, from pre-school to graduation. It will give you the encouragement you need to start strong and finish well! The Homeschool Survival Kit also includes an extensive directory of must-have homeschooling resources.
Please take a minute to visit our sponsors and thank them for helping to bring you The Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast. We ONLY work with companies we know and love! We happily recommend these companies and their products.
Are you looking for a new Math Curriculum? CTCMath specializes in providing online video tutorials that take a multi-sensory approach to learning. Creative graphics and animation, synchronized with the friendly voice of internationally acclaimed teacher, Pat Murray, make learning math easy and effective. Visit CTCmath.com today to start your free trial today.
BJU Press Homeschool provides complete curriculum for preschool through 12th grade with both traditional textbooks and video courses available. Education from a Christian worldview reshapes how children see the world. BJU Press materials teach Christ’s power and lordship through the Big Story of creation.
Patriot Academy – Inspiring Patriotism, Equipping Citizens, Educating A Nation. Patriot Academy has a Single, Bold Vision: To equip a new generation of leaders to champion the cause of freedom and truth in government, media, entertainment, education, as we help bring our nation back to the principles on which we were founded.
The Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW) equips teachers and teaching parents with methods and materials which will aid them in training their students to become confident and competent communicators and thinkers. Using the Structure and Style™ writing method, IEW will give you the ability to fill young minds with language-building skills, laying the groundwork for a lifetime of excellent writing.
Podcast Topics: Sonya Shafer, Simply Charlotte Mason, Teaching Styles, Teaching Methods, Learning Styles, Unit Studies, Classical, Eclectic, Unschooling, Yvette Hampton, Interview, Schoolhouse Rocked: The Homeschool Revolution, Homeschool Movie, Homeschool Documentary, Homeschool Podcast, Christian, Parenting Podcast