Navigating the Homeschooling Journey: Avoiding Pitfalls – Israel Wayne, Part 1
“Prioritizing relationship over academics is essential because if the relationship doesn’t work, the homeschooling won’t work, and if the relationship part is working, you can figure out the academic.” – Israel Wayne
Yvette Hampton sits down with homeschooling expert Israel Wayne to discuss the pitfalls of homeschooling and how to avoid them. With insightful anecdotes and practical advice, Israel shares his experiences of teaching children how to read, think, and learn – and his stories of learning these skills when he was homeschooled by a high school dropout. Discover the importance of individualizing education, embracing unique gifts and talents, and prioritizing relationships over academic achievements.
Come back Wednesday and Thursday for the rest of this important conversation.
Israel Wayne is an author and conference speaker who has a passion for defending the Christian faith and promoting a Biblical worldview. He is the author of the books Questions God Asks, Questions Jesus Asks, Pitchin’ a Fit: Overcoming Angry and Stressed-Out Parenting, Raising Them Up – Parenting for Christians,Education: Does God Have an Opinion?, Answers for Homeschooling: Top 25 Questions Critics Ask, and Foundations in Faith. He has been a regular columnist for Home School Digest, Home School Enrichment and The Old Schoolhouse magazines. He is the founder of Family Renewal, LLC and the site editor for ChristianWorldview.net.
Discussion Questions For the Series:
- Why should parents avoid the pressure to think their homeschooled children should excel in every subject?
- Do you agree with the idea that not every child is meant to master every subject? Why or why not?
- How can homeschooling parents avoid the trap of replicating the traditional classroom model?
- What are some ways that homeschooling can be customized and flexible to meet the individual needs of children?
- How do you feel about Israel Wayne’s bias against college? Do you agree or disagree, and why?
- How can parents prepare their homeschooled children for life beyond high school, even if they choose not to pursue college?
- Do you think standardized education and standardized testing are necessary for success in life? Why or why not?
- How can parents prioritize relationship and connection with their children over academics while still ensuring their education?
- What are some practical strategies for individualizing education based on children’s different learning styles?
- How do you think homeschooling can provide opportunities for children to explore and excel in their unique areas of strength and talent?
Podcast Note-Taking Guide
❤️ ❤️ ❤️ Are you in need of a fresh vision for your homeschool? Join us for 4 days of Homeschool Encouragement at the Homegrown Generation Family Expo. Use the coupon code PODCAST to save 25% on registration today!
Is College Worth It, by William J. Bennett – https://amzn.to/48y0ntl
Getting Started in Homeschooling – Israel Wayne on the Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast
Support Schoolhouse Rocked!
Has the Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast been a blessing to you? Support from our listeners allows us provide resources, support, and encouragement to homeschooling families around the world. Please consider donating to support Schoolhouse Rocked.
CTCMath – CTCMath specializes in providing online video tutorials that take a multi-sensory approach to learning. Creative graphics and animation, synchronized with the friendly voice of internationally acclaimed teacher, Pat Murray, make learning math easy and effective. Start your free trial today.
BJU Press Homeschool provides complete curriculum for preschool through 12th grade with both traditional textbooks and video courses available. Education from a Christian worldview reshapes how children see the world. BJU Press materials teach Christ’s power and lordship through the Big Story of creation.
The Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW) equips teachers and teaching parents with methods and materials which will aid them in training their students to become confident and competent communicators and thinkers. Using the Structure and Style™ writing method, IEW will give you the ability to fill young minds with language-building skills, laying the groundwork for a lifetime of excellent writing.
Apologia – Apologia is a Christ-centered, award-winning homeschool curriculum provider. Our mission is to help homeschooling students and families learn, live, and defend the Christian faith through our print and digital curriculum and online classes.
The Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast is proud to be a member of the Christian Podcast Community.
Connect with us: