Unlocking Literature: A Socratic Approach to Teaching Great Stories – Adam Andrews, Part 2
“The only thing that the teacher is required to be an expert in is knowing which question to ask next.” — Adam Andrews
Unlock the world of literature as Adam Andrews, Director of CenterForLit, joins Yvette Hampton for a journey through the fascinating realm of literary education. The creator of the Teaching the Classics seminar shares the tools needed for meaningful discussions about literature with children of all ages. Delve into the power of the Socratic method and discover strategies to analyze any book, from children’s stories like ‘A Bargain for Francis’ to classics like ‘Hamlet.’ Gain valuable insights into understanding the minds of authors and the importance of reading classics in homeschooling. Tune in now to ignite your literary adventure!
Come back tomorrow for the rest of this important conversation.
📚📖 Ready to start homeschooling? 🏠📓
🍿 Stream Schoolhouse Rocked: The Homeschool Revolution 🍿 for FREE today and get the 📖 Homeschool Survival Kit 📖 delivered to your inbox immediately!
Adam’s Favorite Books:
❤️ ❤️ ❤️ Are you in need of a fresh vision for your homeschool? Join us for 4 days of Homeschool Encouragement at the Homegrown Generation Family Expo. Use the coupon code PODCAST to save 25% on registration today!
Discussion Questions For the Series:
- How can the Socratic method of teaching be applied to literature discussions?
- What are some resources mentioned in the episode that can help homeschool parents teach literature effectively?
- How does the speaker approach reading and studying the Bible with children?
- What strategies does the speaker use to understand difficult passages in the Bible?
- Why does the speaker believe teaching by asking questions is a powerful approach?
- How can the burden of feeling like an expert in a subject negatively impact homeschool parents?
- What are some examples of how the Socratic method can be applied to other disciplines besides literature?
- Why do you think certain stories, like The Iliad, continue to be relevant and read repeatedly throughout history?
- What is the distinction made between oral discussion and written assignments in literature education?
- How can the Socratic method help analyze and understand any book, regardless of its complexity?
Has the Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast been a blessing to you? Support from our listeners allows us provide resources, support, and encouragement to homeschooling families around the world. Please consider donating to support Schoolhouse Rocked.
CTCMath – CTCMath specializes in providing online video tutorials that take a multi-sensory approach to learning. Creative graphics and animation, synchronized with the friendly voice of internationally acclaimed teacher, Pat Murray, make learning math easy and effective. Start your free trial today.
BJU Press Homeschool provides complete curriculum for preschool through 12th grade with both traditional textbooks and video courses available. Education from a Christian worldview reshapes how children see the world. BJU Press materials teach Christ’s power and lordship through the Big Story of creation.
Apologia – Apologia is a Christ-centered, award-winning homeschool curriculum provider. Our mission is to help homeschooling students and families learn, live, and defend the Christian faith through our print and digital curriculum and online classes.
The Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW) equips teachers and teaching parents with methods and materials which will aid them in training their students to become confident and competent communicators and thinkers. Using the Structure and Style™ writing method, IEW will give you the ability to fill young minds with language-building skills, laying the groundwork for a lifetime of excellent writing.
The Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast is proud to be a member of the Christian Podcast Community.
Connect with us: