We are continuing a series of episodes comparing Jesus to superheroes. This series will tackle wrong ideas about Jesus from church history in chronological order. A superhero will represent each of these ideas.
This is part 1 of 2 of “Is Jesus Like Captain America?”
Who is Captain America?
- Comic book history and story
- Some mention of the Marvel movies
- An honorable mention of Chris Hohnholz and his “Cap” outfit
What are Captain America’s superpowers?
How are Jesus and Captain America similar?
- They are both human and “divine.”
- They are both an individual person.
How are Jesus and Captain America different?
- Jesus divinity and humanity are two distinct natures.
- Captain America has a single nature that has humanity and divinity mixed together.
What is Eutychianism?
- Eutyches was head of a monastery in Constantinople.
- Eutyches taught that Jesus had one nature as a product of humanity and divinity.
- Eusebius of Doryleum accused him of heresy.
- A synod in Constantinople found him guilty and deposed him.
- A second Council of Ephesus was rigged to find him innocent and depose his accusers.
- Leo of Rome called this the “robber council.”
OrthodoxWiki.org, “Robber Council of Ephesus”
Wikipedia.org, “Captain America”
Voice of Reason Radio with Chris Hohnholz and Rich Story
“Dr. James White and His Creepy Elf Doll,” episode from Voice of Reason Radio