Six Reasons People Slander
What is slander? Why do people want to slander other people?
Chelsea and I look at some Bible verses and stories to find at least six reasons people slander others:
- To enrich themselves (Proverbs 21:6; 20:17; Haman)
- To satisfy envy (Joseph’s brothers)
- To cover up wrongdoing or shift blame (Potiphar’s wife)
- To conceal hateful motives or weakness (Proverbs 10:18)
- To damage or destroy opponents (Psalm 31:13; 1 Samuel 24:9; the Ammonites against David)
- To fight against truth (Psalm 31:18; 52:3; 64:3-4; Jeremiah 9:4-5)
Legal Dictionary, s.v. “slander (n.),” accessed August 14, 2022.
*** Castle Rock Women’s Health is a pro-life and pro-women health care ministry. They need your help to move into a new office to serve the community better. Please consider a monthly or one-time donation. ***